Be true to your values, be unapologetic about your compassion, speak your truth, and trust that whatever resistance you receive from friends and family when you're first awakening to your compassion will get better. - Colleen Patrick-Goudreau - Read EVEN's exclusive interview with Colleen HERE.
I am aware that many object to the severity of my language; but is there not cause for severity? I will be as harsh as the truth and as uncompromising as justice. On this subject, I do not wish to think or speak or write with moderation. ...I am in earnest. I will not equivocate. I will not excuse. I will not retreat a single inch. And I will be heard. - William Lloyd Garrison, American abolitionist, journalist, social reformer (1805 - 1879)
Paula - EVEN Member and Volunteer
Those who are used to a cage will weep for a cage. - Yevgeny Yevtushenko
Robert with Toby 'Jacopoochie'
- 2 Healthy Vegans!
We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals. - Immanuel Kant (1724 - 1804)
The goal of life is living in agreement with nature. - Zeno, Greek Philosopher (490-430 BC)
The logging and agricultural industries, as well as hunting for bushmeat, is wreaking havoc on the populations of gorillas and chimpanzees in Central Africa and on orangutan populations in Indonesian islands of Borneo and Sumatra. - The Animals Diary, Jon Carpenter
Those who wish to pet and baby wild animals "love" them. But those who respect their natures and wish to let them live normal lives, love them more. - Edwin Way Teale, Circle of the Seasons, 1953
How can you say you're trying to spiritually evolve, without even a thought about what happens to the animals whose lives are sacrificed in the name of gluttony? - Oprah Winfrey
Whenever I see a photograph of some sportsmen grinning over his kill, I am always impressed by the striking moral and esthetic superiority of the dead animal to the live one." - Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)
Please visit our sponsors!
Click on their logos below.
There's no proper way to kill and cook these beautiful birds....Millions of people are learning that a vegetarian diet is the healthy choice for themselves, the Earth and the animals. - Fiona Apple, 1997, expressing her concern for the plight of turkeys on Thanksgiving.
Because the heart beats under a covering of hair, of fur, feathers, or wings, it is, for that reason, to be of no account? - Jean Paul Richter (1763 - 1825)
My respect and empathy towards animals includes sea dweller, too from dolphins to fish to lobsters. So, of course, I wouldn't dream of eating them. - Alexandra Paul
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams
(1722 - 1803)
I love vegan choices, raw food choices, and I'll eat whatever I have to in order to get into whatever shape I need to get into for any one particular role. - Angela Bassett
Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves.
- George Gordon Noel Byron (Lord Byron), English Romantic poet (1788 - 1824)
We won't have a society if we destroy the environment. - Margaret Mead, anthropologist
You need to hunt something that can shoot back at you to really classify yourself as a hunter. You need to understand the feeling of what it's like to go into the field and know your opposition can take you out. Not just go out there and shoot Bambi. - Gov. Jesse Ventura
We should give all animals the benefit of the doubt that they are fully sentient, even if our senses are too dull to appreciate fully their intelligence.
- Holly Cheever, DVM
– Heart disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes, and other chronic diseases kill 1.4 million Americans annually and are linked conclusively to excessive consumption of animal products. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, that's 23 times the number killed by all infectious diseases combined, including AIDS, hepatitis, blood poisoning and intestinal infections. - Harry Gannon, Lansing State Journal
– If 1/3 of Americans switched from eating one 3-1/2 oz serving of beef, one egg, and a 1 oz. serving of cheese each day to a mix of vegetables, fruit, beans, and whole grains:
(Livestock manure and flatulence generate 30-40% of total methane emissions from human-influenced activities.)
...So that food can "be convenient---to be stable and have a long shelf life, or to retain good 'mouthfeel' after an hour under the fast-food heat lamp---foods had to contain larger and more condensed amount of fats and sugars..." - Greg Crister, Fat Land
- humans are the only animals who drink milk past infancy or who drink the milk of another species!
- in 1990, cancer was the 10th leading cause of death in the US, and it was responsible for only 3% of all deaths. Today it ranks 2nd, and causes about 20% of all deaths. More Americans died of cancer in 1987 than died in World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War combined!
- calves fed on pasteurized milk died within six months!
- 5% of the world (US) uses 1/3 of the world's resources and produces 1/2 of its waste!
- affordable health care begins with breastfeeding!
- there's a reason why they call it junk food!
- that by attaching a low-flow faucet aerator, you can reduce the normal faucet flow of 3 to 5 gallons of water per minute by 50%? Incredibly, although the flow is reduced, it will seem stronger because air is mixed into the water as it leaves the tap?
- manufacturers can place the word "nontoxic" on their label simply by meeting the federal regulatory definition that says if fewer than 50% of lab animals die within two weeks when being exposed to the product through ingestion or inhalation, then the product can be called "nontoxic"!? (Yikes! Cocktail, anyone?)
- In the classic research study conducted by Dean Ornish, M.D., 82% of individuals who switched to a low-fat, vegetarian diet, along with exercise and stress management, actually reversed their heart disease. This is especially important, given that most people in Western countries have the beginnings of artery blockages before they finish high school. (Breaking the Food Seduction, Dr. Neal Barnard)
- Americans consume over 1,000,000 animals an hour. Every second, 300 living beings are slaughtered for food. (Orange County People for Animals)
- More than 100 million animals are reported killed by hunters each year. That number does not include the millions of animals for which kill figures are not maintained by state wildlife agencies. Each year, more than 40 million animals are killed for their fur…(Delaware Action for Animals)
- Duke is the ONLY top ten medical school in the United States where students still train with and kill live animals-even though cheaper, more useful, and more humane alternatives exist. (PCRM)
- To view a film clip about why people become vegan, go to www.veganpeace.com/veganism/whyvegan.html or www.meetyourmeat.com. These videos offer insights that, somewhere along the line, we have all forgotten.
- Amount spent annually in U.S. to treat cancer: $70 Billion (1990) (John Robbins, Diet for a New America)
- The average American consumes 17 lbs. of turkey meat per year. To satisfy this appetite, 252 million turkeys have to be killed annually. Most turkey meat found in grocery stores and restaurants comes from turkeys intensively confined on "factory farms." Standard practices on the farm, during transport, and at slaughter, cause these turkeys to suffer significant pain. (Compassion Over Killing)
- Turkeys are genetically engineered to grow very big, very fast, and generally are slaughtered at 12 weeks. If allowed to live, their breasts grow huge, literally forcing their legs out of their sockets.
- Factory farms produce more than 1.3 billion tons of waste annually -- 5 tons for every US citizen. Animal farm waste is the top polluter of the US's rivers and streams. (Diet for a Dead Planet, New Press)
- Chickens killed for their flesh in the US are bred and drugged to grow so quickly that their hearts, lungs, and limbs often can't keep up.
- Hens used for eggs live 6 or 7 to a battery cage the size of a file drawer, thousands of which are stacked tier upon tier in huge, filthy warehouses.
- Cattle are castrated, their horns are ripped out of their heads, and third-degree burns (branding) are inflicted on them, all without any pain relief.
My perspective of veganism was most affected by learning that the veal calf is a by-product of dairying, and that in essence there is a slice of veal in every glass of what I had thought was an innocuous white liquid --- milk.
- Rynn Berry, quoted The Vegan Sourcebook, by Jo Stepaniak, 1998
- Cows used for their milk are drugged and bred to produce unnatural amounts of milk; they have their babies stolen from them shortly after birth and sent to notoriously cruel veal farms so that humans can drink the calves' milk.
- Mother pigs on factory farms are confined to crates so small that they are unable to turn around or even lie down comfortably.
- Fish on aquafarms spend their entire lives in cramped, filthy enclosures, and many suffer from parasitic infections, diseases, and debilitating injuries. Conditions on some farms are so horrendous that 40% of the fish may die before farmers can kill and package them for food.
- Turkeys' beaks and toes are burned off with a hot blade. Many suffer heart failure or debilitating leg pain, often becoming crippled under the weight of their genetically manipulated, drugged bodies. (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
- Every second, one football field of rainforest is destroyed in order to produce 257 hamburgers. (www.happycow.net/why_vegetarian.html)
- Eating one pound of hamburger does the same damage as driving your car for three weeks! (www.happycow.net/why_vegetarian.html)